Gonasi (HCG) Injections
A box of Gonasi contains
- 1x vial of powder for injection and
- 1x pre-filled syringe of solvent (liquid) for injection
- 1x green needle
- 1x grey needle
How to use Gonasi (HCG)
Typically during ovulation induction one injection of 5000IU to 15,000IU of HCH is injected.
Doses greater than 5000IU
- Remove the cap from the powder vial.
- Attach the green needle to the prefilled syringe.
- Inject the liquid into the powder vial.
- After mixing, draw up the prepared solution with the syringe and green needle. (for 5000IU dose continue to 5, for higher doses see below)
- Expel excess air and bubbles, by tapping the barrel of the syringe.
- Remove the green needle and replace with the grey needle.
- Prepare the injection site with an injection swab.
- Insert the needle at a 90 degree angle into relaxed thigh for subcutaneous administration.
- Inject slowly over 10 to 20 seconds.
- Place the index finger over the needle, withdraw the needle and massage the area gently.
If you have been prescribed more than 5000IU of HCG for Ovulation Induction, follow steps 1 to 4 above, then;
If 10000IU of HCG is prescribed
, inject the prepared solution into another powder vial and then follow steps 4 to 10. (i.e. 2x powder vials dissolved in 1x syringe). You will have 1 x pre-filled syringe left over.
If 15000IU of HCG is prescribed
, inject the prepared solution into another 2x powder vials, in succession, and then follow steps 4 to 1o. (i.e. 3x powder vials dissolved in 1x syringe). You will have 2 x pre-filled syringes left over.
Luteal Phase Support
Three or four repeat injections of HCG are given within 9 days following ovulation, for example day 3, 5, 7 and 9 after ovulation induction.
Often the number of units to be injected will be less than 5000IU. If, for example, 2500IU of HCG are to be injected follow steps 1 to 4 above. At this point expel the necessary volume of solution to give prescribed volume to be injected, for example if 2,500IU is to be injected then expel 0.5ml leaving 0.5ml in the syringe. Now follow steps 6 to 10.
Remember never expel the excess volume of solution using the grey needle, as this will wet the needle leading to pain on injection. Always expel excess volumes before switching needles.
What is Gonasi/HCG?
Gonasi contains hCG, human chorionic gonadotrophin. It is obtained from the urine of pregnant women. HCG has Luteinising Hormone (LH) activity.